Boss Andy Famous and I had the awesome privilege to see the Big Top be raised today for Cirque Du Soleil’s new show Luzia. They just finished their show in Montreal and are starting their tour here in Toronto.
Here are some fun facts you may not know about the LUZIA Big Top and the Cirque du Soleil village:
- The Big Top seats more than 2,600 people.
- The entire site set-up takes 8 days. This includes installation of the Big Top, the entrance tent, the VIP tent and the rehearsal spaces.
- The Big Top stands at 19 meters (62 feet) high and is 51 meters (167 feet) in diameter.
- The 4 steel masts each stand at 25 meters (82 feet) tall.
- 550 pegs are required to hold the big top firmly to 48,500 square feet of asphalt.
- The Big Top can withstand winds up to 120 km/h (75 mph).
- The light-coloured canvas helps counter the effects of the sun, thereby reducing energy consumption and minimizing greenhouse gas emissions.
- LUZIA travels via 65 trailer trucks carrying close to 2,000 tons of equipment.
Crazy I know! Even better, the mob has been invited to review the show! Can I say OMG!!! I’ve loved the Cirque de Soleil since I was a kid. I now I will get to see it live. Sometimes, your hard work does pay off!
LUZIA, an acrobatic waking dream of Mexico, opens in Toronto on July 28 for a limited engagement through October 16. For more information, visit www.cirquedusoleil.com/luzia.