Get ready to rock, roll, and clap your hands over your head! Canada’s music festival NXNE begins today, June 17 and runs until this Sunday, June 21. With shows and events all around the city, NXNE is a not-to-be-missed event for any music enthusiast out there. While we urge you to go straight to the source for a complete schedule and list of events, as well as audio samples for each band to give you a flavour of the fun, we’ve put together a Top 10 list of CHEEKmagazine.com don’t-miss favourites to keep you on track. See you at the shows!
1) Who: Jason Collett / Why: We love this guy! Love. Not only was he a member of Broken Social Scene, a longtime CHEEKmagazine.com favourite, but he’s collaborated with the likes of Feist and Emily Haines. Plus, CBC says that he is “the indispensable lynchpin of Toronto’s booming indie scene.” The festival website calls this show “a NXNE highlight”, and we just can’t resist! / When/Where: June 17, 8pm, at The Courthouse OR June 20, 12am, at The Horsehoe Tavern
2) Who: Apostle of Hustle / Why: A longtime favourite within the Arts & Crafts family, Apostle of Hustle has a great range of equally dance-worthy and chill tracks, with South American and Caribbean influences / When: June 17, 11pm / Where:The Courthouse
3) Who: Chang A Lang / Why: Toronto-based indie groovers put on an excellent show, and NXNE recommends the gig for anyone who likes Ol’ Weezer, Link Wray, The Pixies, and Charles Bronson. Between friends: we think they’re the next big thing. / When: June 18, 8pm / Where: Silver Dollar Room
4) Who: Coeur de Pirate / Why: Adorable French-Canadian songstress Béatrice Martin may sing en Francais, but her tunes are totally relatable even if you
didn’t get past grade 10 French. Gorgeous, classical-inspired melodies weave through these tracks and create a layered, dream sequence quality. / When: June 18, 8:00-8:30pm (as part of the Extra Series) / Where: Glenn Gould Studio at CBC
5) Who: The Most Serene Republic / Why: A Canadian indie-pop favourite, TMSR’s newest album, “…And The Ever Expanding Universe” (Arts & Crafts), produced by Dave Newfield, is dropping on July 14th and we can’t wait to hear what these rockers have in store for us next. / When: June 18, 11pm / Where: The Courthouse
6) Who: You Say Party! We Say Die! / Why: This BC electro band will surely re-energize you and have you shouting for more. The NXNE critics say: “If you like pants-off parties and 40s of gin, you will like us” / When: June 18, midnight / Where: El Mocambo
7) Who: Kidstreet / Why: if you to dance, if you like electro, and if you like to sweat at shows, check these guys out at one of our favourite Toronto venues / When: June 19, 10pm / Where: The Drake Hotel(Underground)
8 ) Who: The Ghost is Dancing / Why: NOW Magazine calls Toronto-based TGID’s live shows, “flamboyant mini-symphonies that layer exultant choral harmonies.” Simply put, if you like to have a good time, check this out. / When: June 19, 10pm / Where: Velvet Underground
9) Who: Our Name is Legion / Why: a solid band with influences across the board; Radiohead, Leonard Cohen, and Wintersleep. Always a great show, and definitely worth your while. / When: June 19, 1am / Where: The Painted Lady
Wristbands and 5-day passes for NXNE are available at record stores across the city, including Sonic Boom on Bloor St., Rotate This on Queen St., and Soundscapes on College St.